Our goal is to conduct all of our operations ethically and with an awareness of our impact on the communities in which we live and work.
We operate in many diverse environments, where communities face a wide range of human development challenges. Through holistic engagement and consultation with related stakeholders, Blacksands Pacific's “Working with Communities” initiatives aim to help alleviate these challenges. Looking to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals as our guide, our social investments seek to improve education, health and conservation, while developing local enterprise.
Our proactive support of local communities not only benefits local people, but also gives Blacksands Pacific a competitive advantage through reduced operating costs and a reputation as a responsible operator. As our business grows, we pledge to increase our annual social investments.
- Deliver discretionary budget in line with the focus of the Group's 'Working with Communities' initiative;
- Continue community engagement programs with a specific focus on Nigeria and Ghana;
- Develop and roll out community development guidelines; and
- Influence, where possible, social license commitment decisions and continue to share experience of Blacksands Pacific`s projects.
Future Issues / Targets
- Extend our community engagement programs;
- Conduct Human Rights risk assessment in key markets; and
- Encourage our commercial partners and contractors to join our community development projects.